A bit of messing around, and an attempt to discover: How many countries is it possible to drink beer from without leaving Ireland?
The (self-set) rules:
- All beers must be bought in a shop, bar, restaurant, etc, in Ireland. They cannot be mail ordered (from anywhere, including within Ireland). This will mostly mean Dublin, as that’s where I live.
- I will list every beer I have bought, as well as where, below. The countries in bold text are ones I still need to find a beer from.
- Where a beer is ‘from’ is where it’s brewed, not where the brand is from.
- There’s no time limit, I will just keep building a list for as long as it’s still a growing list. This started in July 2019. I’ll be taking my time – this is for fun, not a slow path to alcoholism!
- I’m not concerned about how good or bad the beer is (well I am, because I’m going to drink it, obviously, but this is going to be hard enough without having to search for specific brews), so I won’t be searching for the ‘best’ beer from various countries. It’ll likely be the first one I can find, so expect some Fosters and Heineken on the list alongside the oddities.
- Countries are those recognised by the United Nations.
- Feel free to leave tips on obscure countries in the comments!
It’s very likely impossible to complete this list (at the time of writing, there are 11 dry (or very close to dry) countries, for example, and probably quite a few more that just don’t make or export beer), but let’s see how it goes!
✔ Belgium – Stella Artois, bought in Supervalu, Aston Quay, Dublin 2
Bosnia and Herzegovina
✔ Czech Republic – Pilsner Urquell bought in Next Door, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Denmark – Faxe Premium, bought in Lidl, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Germany – Patronus, bought in Lidl, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Ireland – Rockshore, bought in Centra, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Italy – Rossini, bought in Aldi, Parnell Street, Dublin 2
✔ Lithuania – Baltijos Dark Red, bought in Next Door, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Netherlands – Heineken, bought in Centra, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Poland – Tyskie, bought in Lidl, Cork Street, Dublin 8
✔ Spain – Carullo, bought in Aldi, Parnell Street, Dublin 2
✔ United Kingdom – Hobgoblin, bought in Tesco, Fleet Street, Dublin 2
✔ China – Tsingtao, bought in Asia Market, Drury St, Dublin 2.
✔ Japan – Asahi, bought in Dunnes, George’s Street, Dublin 2.
✔Korea, South – Cass, bought in Asia Market, Dublin 2.
✔Russia – Zatecky Gus, bought in Aldi, Long Mile Road, Dublin 12
✔ Singapore – Tiger, bought in Dunnes, George’s Street, Dublin 2
✔ Thailand – Chang, bought in Asia Market, Drury St, Dublin 2
United Arab Emirates
Central African Republic
Congo, Democratic Republic of
Sao Tome and Principe
Antigua and Barbuda
✔ Canada – Molson Canadian, bought in Next Door, Cork Street, Dublin 2
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
✔ United States – Anchor Steam Beer, bought in Tesco Fleet Street, Dublin 2
Papua New Guinea